Thursday, February 19, 2009

Bad Mom?

This morning I felt like such a bad mom. The kids were actually having pretty good drop offs until we walked into Gracie's classroom and gives me this look of dispair. I ask her what is wrong and she informs me I have forgotten about "sharing" day. Oh Dear. I try to calm her down but she is crying wanting me to drive home and pick up her mermaid Barbie. We go through her backpak to see what we could find. She has books and a flashnight which she is NOT interested in sharing. After 15 minutes, I tell her I really have to go as I'm already late for work. She says "if Dad were here we wouldn't be in such a hurry". My heart cringed. I tell her once more I have to go to work now and give her a hug and a kiss and walk out. As I'm walking down the hallway with tears wondering how I could allow myself to forget. I felt like such a horrible mom. I sit in my car contemplating driving home. This would be a huge undertaking but I can't stop my heart from hurting. I drove to CVS and bought a Mrs. Potato Head and a Baby Princess Doll. As I'm walking down the hallway towards her class, I can't help but wonder if what I'm about to do is the right thing. Will she understand I felt horrible? Will she view this as me giving in? Goodness, I wasn't expecting this morning to be so emotional. As I walk in, I saw her sitting on the floor with swollen eyes. She came up to me and asked what I was doing there and I told her I was really sad I had forgotten to bring a toy for sharing day and I went and bought a special toy. She chose the baby doll and gave me a big hug and said "you're the best mom ever". I heard angels singing at that moment...

I don't know if what I did was the right thing but it sure made it better.

Love you sweet princess!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so hard. I do it all the time. Just this morning I forgot Logan's bike for a parade they are having. I was running extremely late too but I went back home and got his tricycle.